Sunday 27 January 2013

Twenty, Part III



So. Remember that platform that people were jumping off way back on my first day here? We all decided to reconvene there after work today. And since I made a promise to myself, I decided I was going to jump off.




It was entirely backwards from what I expected, in that the jump itself wasn’t that bad, but the fall was bloody terrifying. I took the smaller jump first. I jumped, closed my eyes…. And waited…. And waited… and wondered why I hadn’t landed yet because wasn’t gravity faster than this? When I finally did land, the breath I was holding was forced out of me and I scrambled for the surface. My thoughts consisted of THIS IS BLOODY COLD with a hint of oh yeah, this is saltwater, isn’t it.

But that wasn’t the promise I made myself. I needed to jump off the top platform. So…. I did. And even though the shorter jump should have prepared me, I still felt like I was falling too long, and I still inwardly freaked out. I also leaned back too far and unwittingly drew my legs to my chest, so when I crawled out of the water, I realized that the backs of my thighs hurt. A lot. Who knew that water could cause so much pain.




Worth it once. Don’t think I’ll be doing it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment