Monday 28 January 2013

Day the Twenty-Second



For the first time since I arrived in Wellington, I slept past 11am. Then I got up, had breakfast, packed myself a dinner, and headed out.

My first stop was the train station. I got a response from the bus company yesterday telling me that they hadn’t been able to find my purse and were considering it lost, which had me just overjoyed. I figured, if it wasn’t on the bus, maybe someone turned it in to the train station? But I arrived to find that the customer service desk was closed on weekends. I’ll try again tomorrow, but I’m not actually that hopeful. At this point… I’m pretty sure it’s gone for good.

I spent the afternoon at Te Papa. At around 5pm I joined up with my project team so that we could hammer out the draft of our Lit Review which is due tomorrow morning. It was rather plain that none of us actually wanted to be doing work, but we disciplined ourselves and got it done. With luck, we won’t have to spend any more weekends doing work. I’m not feeling inclined to trust our luck.

Tonight was apparently the world championship (or something like that) for men’s singles tennis, so a bunch of us went to a bar to watch it on a giant screen. That was fun. My understanding of tennis is approximately the same as my understanding of any other sport, which is to say, not that great. But I learned more, and I was more or less able to keep track of what was going on.

Overall, today was a boring day, which means you get to hear about another Te Papa exhibit. Turns out, Te Papa is currently home to the largest collosal squid that has ever been captured. It was caught somewhere off Antarctica, brought to Te Papa, dissected for Science, and then pickled in this giant tank that’s hanging out in the museum. The tank is bloody huge, and I think it makes the squid look smaller than it actually is. Apparently, if you sliced up the mantle, it would make rings the size of car tires. Think about that next time you’re eating calamari.

There’s also a game to go along with it. You can play it [here] if you’re interested. There’s your procrastination tool for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment