Sunday 27 January 2013

Three Weeks Done....



I didn’t even have any plans today, and I still didn’t manage to sleep in. I suppose that’s a good thing, since it means I’ve developed a consistent sleep schedule here. It also meant that I spent all day at Te Papa taking advantage of the wi-fi. I got to play Nightshade! With a new character, even. (I think this is the part where I comment on the wonders of technology, and how I can participate in a game from the other side of the world.)

And I had the last of my rice-beans-corn-chicken for dinner. It’s finally gone! I can eat something different!

I also discovered some massive and colorful bruises on the backs of my legs. Also, my tailbone hurts. Courtesy of my jump into the water. Sitting is painful. This was an unexpected consequence, and confirms that I won’t be trying it again.

This is apparently a weekend for new experiences. Jumping off platforms into water… going out clubbing… there’s a group of Australians staying in our apartment complex, and apparently last night they met some of us and hung out. So they were hanging out again tonight, and my roommate invited me to go along. Since the alternative was spending the evening alone, I agreed.

We hung out at the apartments for a while, visiting. I hovered at the periphery, not quite feeling comfortable enough to join in on any conversations. Situations like this make me shy. I was also one of the only sober people there, and planned to stay that way, having no money to spend on drinks regardless of any desire to drink them. One of my classmates offered me a beer, which I accepted; that was my only drink for the night. After a while, one of the Australians introduced himself, and we had a conversation. I started to relax. Still felt out of place, but not as much.

When we were politely informed that the noise ban had come into effect, we headed out to a club. This, too, was outside my range of experience, but it didn’t matter so much. I’ve said before that music is universal, even if it’s club music being pumped through speakers that leave you deaf. Most of it was actually familiar; I recognized the majority of the songs, and that’s saying something, given the amount of attention I pay to contemporary music. We all danced together and watched out for each other, and just generally had a good time. It was a new experience, but I’m glad I went.

Also, this may have been the first night I’ve been in Wellington that I’ve stayed up past midnight. No wonder I’ve been waking up so early.

No comments:

Post a Comment