Sunday 27 January 2013

On a Philosophical Note... (Nineteen.)



The best and truly worst part of my IQP is that no one has done it before.

Most IQPs take something that has been done and apply it to a certain setting or situation. Things like earthquake awareness, which has been done all over the world, being applied specifically to Wellington. Or protecting an endangered species, applied specifically to a New Zealand Parrot. Or installing a certain kind of exhibit at a particular museum.

But no one has done a study on measuring meaningful engagement through social media. There are very few studies on meaningful engagement through any context, and even fewer that are actually of use. There are virtually no studies on social media. There isn't even a definition of what meaningful engagement is; there are just a bunch of buzzwords and vague labels and assumptions that are assigned to it.

Everyone we have told about it, both here in New Zealand and back home in America, has said how useful they think it will be. How they've never heard of it being done before. How much they want to know what we come up with.

If we succeed, then this has the potential to be huge. It could be the basis for a whole new field of research into this area. It could be used by not only museums but any other organization around the world. Our project will be the first thing out there, the foundational work.

But that's if we succeed. There's a reason no one has done this before--not just because it's so new, but because it's so... ephemeral. Philosophical. So very much not technical. (Which is obnoxious for us technically-minded WPI students, let me tell you.) It feels like the odds are stacked against us.

But aren't the odds stacked against every great new discovery?

No news from the bus company, by the way. I’m starting to lose hope. The good news is that I have a supply of emergency cash tucked away. I’m also starting to look into what I need to do to get an emergency replacement card. If I can’t get one, I have a budget of $25 a week. That’s enough that I’m not going to starve. I might be sick of peanut butter, but I won’t starve.

Speaking of being sick of food… I made a meal of rice, beans, corn, and chicken at the end of last week. I thought it would save me some effort to make extra. I made a lot of extra. About eight meals’ worth. It did save me some effort. It also means that I don’t think I ever want rice and beans again. Ever. I know I shouldn’t complain, especially considering my suddenly limited food budget… but I’ve been spoiled by having my dad cook something different almost every night for my whole life. I will finish the leftovers that I still have, and then find another meal that is cheap and easy. No more of this stuff.

I also went grocery shopping this evening. It is a very different experience, shopping on a limited budget. My primary concerns were less about variety and healthfulness, and more about low-cost and non-perishability. Not a fun way to shop, but it’s probably a good experience to have. If I learn now, then I’ll know if I end up in this sort of situation again.

Even so. I really, really hope my purse turns up. Really, really, really hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment